City Librarian Community Message
(Updated November 20, 2020)
November 20, 2020
Message from City Librarian,
At their monthly meeting last night, the Decatur Public Library Board of Trustees discussed the Library’s response to Tier 3 Mitigation efforts ordered by the Governor’s office. While these mitigation efforts do not mention specific guidelines for public libraries, it is the opinion of the Board and library administration that the wisest course of action is one of prudence. In keeping with this, Decatur Public Library will be CLOSED Saturdays effective immediately.
As of Monday, November 23, 2020, the following measures will be taken:
• The library will be providing checkout by curbside only—there will be no entry for browsing of shelves. Curbside pickup will be available Monday-Thursday from 9am to 6pm and Fridays from 9am-5:00pm. More details available here: Curbside Pickup
• Public Access Computers: beginning Monday, November 30 individuals will be able to make appointments to enter the building to access the computers. The number of appointments will be limited and will be available Monday-Thursday from 9am to 5:30pm and Fridays from 9am-5:00pm. Details on how to make appointments will be published next week.
• Staff will be available during the above hours to answer questions by telephone at 424-2900. We will work toward increasing hours of staff telephone availability into the evening.
• The library will continue to participate in delivery services through the SHARE consortium.
• The library will continue to accept returns of books and other materials, but if you are unable to return materials, remember that we never charge late fees to Decatur Public Library cardholders and we recently added an additional renewal period.
• Decatur Public Library will continue to work to provide high quality virtual programming and electronic resources for the community.
• The library will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 26, 2020.
If the public health situation worsens, or there are further restrictions directed by State or Local Authorities, Decatur Public Library will comply with said directives. As the public health situation improves, the library will loosen the restrictions. The goal is to continue to provide our community the highest level of access possible while taking every precaution to ensure the safety of the public and library staff.
Decatur Public Library