Rene and Antonne Lartoniere (Lorton)
- Voyageurs from Michilimackinac Island in Michigan
- Established a trading post with the Kickapoo on the north side of the Sangamon River where Friends Creek flows into it (near Oreana) in 1813. The business thrived.
- On July 30, 1819, most of the Kickapoo still holding land in the area yielded to the United States government, and moved across the Mississippi River.
- Not long after this, the Lartonieres closed their trading post and returned to Michigan.
- The building was used for a time around 1828 by John Draper and his family when they first moved to Whitmore Township from Hickory Point Township.