Children's 2022 Summer Reading Challenge
Earn fun rewards for reading or listening to books!
May 31 - August 14. Early Registration opens online May 15!
Summer Reading from wherever you are! You can register and track reading online, OR register and pick up a printed reading log at the Children's Desk.
- Register online or in the library, and log your reading days starting May 31 through August 14.
- Already have an account in Beanstack? Your information is still there! Just log in online or via the app -- update your family's information (email, phone, kids' grades and schools) -- and enroll everyone in their age-appropriate Reading Challenge (Children's, Young Adult, Adult).
Forgot your user name or password? You can recover it in Beanstack, or give us a call (217-424-2900 ext. 5), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or message us via Facebook Messenger.
- New to Beanstack? Start your free account (with email & password), either through the library's Beanstack site or the Beanstack smartphone app for Android (Google) or iOS (Apple). Or come to the Children's Desk and we'll get you registered.
- Enter everyone in your family or group under that account, and enroll each in the age-appropriate Reading Challenge (Children's, Young Adult, Adult).
- Simply log each DAY that your child reads or listens to books. For every week (5 days) of reading, they earn a reward -- up to 5 levels!
- Pick up a printed reading log at the Children's Desk at the library. Kids can track their own reading progress and get a sticker for each completed level. (You can use the printed log instead of logging through Beanstack, if you prefer.)
- How much should kids read? Whatever works best for you and your child! Set reasonable daily goals that will be fun, and encourage raising goals through the summer.
- As you complete reading levels, come to the Children's Desk upstairs to pick up your reading rewards!
Reading Rewards for the Children's Challenge
- Registration: Scratch-n-sniff bookmark
- The first 100 to register AND come in to pick up a reading log starting May 31 get a coupon for a free Giggles cookie!
- Complete 1st Week's Reading: Book Bag, Monical's Pizza coupon, McDonald's ice cream cone coupon
- Complete 2nd Week's Reading: Temporary Tattoos, Wendy's Jr Frosty coupon, McDonald's small drink coupon
- Complete 3rd Week's Reading: Prize choice, Papa Murphy's Mini-Murph Pizza Coupon, McDonald's small fries coupon, ticket for the DPL Summer Reading T-shirt drawing.
- Complete 4th Week's Reading: Dinosaur eraser*, DPL Mood Pencil*, McDonald's small slushy coupon *(alternate reward for our littlest book listeners)
- Complete 5th Week's Reading: Choice of a free book, Texas Roadhouse Kids Meal coupon, McDonald's cheeseburger coupon
Be sure to log the days you read -- we're aiming for a total of 25,000 days of reading across our DPL community this summer! Watch the total grow at the top of the page or app!
For Day Cares and Other Groups
Any group with multiple participants can register as a "family" under one account. There is no limit to the number of participants that can be under the same account.
- If you also have a personal account with Beanstack, use a different email and phone number for your group account. (You can't use the same email or phone number for two different accounts.)