Children's 2023 Summer Reading Challenge
Earn fun rewards for reading or listening to books!
In our 2023 Children's Summer Reading Challenge! You can read or listen to books, and earn fun rewards along the way!
- Register online or in the library, and log your reading days starting May 30 through August 12.
- Already have an account in Beanstack? Your information is still there! Just log in online
or via the app -- update your family's information (email, phone, kids'
grades and schools) -- and enroll everyone in their age-appropriate
Reading Challenge (Children's, Teen, Adult).
(Youth 13 - 14 can choose to participate in the Children's Challenge OR the Teen Reading Challenge.)
- Forgot your user name or password? You can recover it in Beanstack, or give us a call (217-424-2900 ext. 5), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or message us via Facebook Messenger.
- New to Beanstack? Start your free account (with email & password), either through the library's Beanstack site or the Beanstack smartphone app for Android (Google) or iOS (Apple). Or come to the Children's Desk and we'll get you registered.
- Simply log each DAY that your child reads or listens to books. For every week (5 days) of reading, they earn a reward -- up to 5 levels!
- Pick up a printed reading log at the Children's Desk at the library (starting May 30). Kids can track their own reading progress and get a sticker for each completed level. (You can use the printed log instead of logging through Beanstack, if you prefer.)
- How much should kids read? Whatever works best for you and your child! Set reasonable daily goals that will be fun, and encourage raising goals through the summer.
- As you complete reading levels, come to the Children's Desk upstairs to pick up your reading rewards!
Have a preschool, day care or other group? You can bring them all! Click here for special instructions.
Reading Rewards for the Children's Challenge
- Registration: Bookmark
- Complete 1st Week's Reading: Book Bag, Monical's Pizza coupon, McDonald's ice cream cone coupon
- Complete 2nd Week's Reading: Temporary Tattoo, Dino glider, McDonald's small drink coupon
- Complete 3rd Week's Reading: Papa Murphy's Mini-Murph Pizza coupon, McDonald's small fries coupon, Glow tube, ticket for the DPL Summer Reading T-shirt drawing
- Complete 4th Week's Reading: McDonald's frozen beverage coupon, Crafty kit (alternate reward for littlest book listeners)
- Complete 5th Week's Reading: Choice of a free book, Texas Roadhouse Kids Meal coupon, McDonald's cheeseburger coupon
PLUS the first 50 (FIFTY) to register AND come to the library to pick up their reading log starting on May 30 will receive a coupon for a free cookie from Giggles, thanks to the generosity of the Golden K Kiwanis Club of Decatur.
Be sure to log the days you read -- we're aiming for a total of 25,000 reading days across our DPL community this summer! Watch the total grow at the top of the page or app!
Questions? Call the Children's Desk at 217-424-2900 ext. 5. Or email us at ReadingPrograms@decaturlibrary.org or message us via Facebook Messenger.
Need printed info for your classroom, students, or group? Download the letter-size poster here, or quarter-page flyer here.
Thanks to our Summer Reading Sponsors!
and to Dr. Richard Lockmiller, for his long-time support of our Children's Summer Reading Program, in appreciation for his hometown Decatur Public Library.