RaD Kids Book Discussion Group
Read and discuss outstanding books with others your age
What: RaD Kids (READ and DISCUSS) Book Group
Who: Students 10 - 14 years old
When: One Thursday per month, 4 p.m.
Where: Children's Auditorium, Decatur Public Library
Students 10 - 14 years old, register now for the RaD Kids Book Discussion Group starting in September! Participants will read one title per month, then meet at the library to discuss, react, and explore in more depth that month's book and its themes, led by our own library staff.
Register just once for the group (not each individual session). Read or listen to the book before the meeting, and then join us to discuss and explore, or just listen and learn with your fellow students. (You do not have to attend every session to participate.)
Schedule (click to request a copy of the book in the library catalog, print or audiobook if available):
- Thursday, September 29, 4 p.m. -- Before the Ever After, by Jacqueline Woodson
(for DPL card holders) Before the Ever After downloadable audiobook on hoopla
- Thursday, October 27, 4 p.m. -- All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team, by Christina Soontornvat
- Thursday, December 1, 4 p.m. -- The Blackbird Girls, by Ann Blankman
(for DPL card holders) The Blackbird Girls downloadable audiobook on hoopla
- Thursday, January 26, 4 p.m. -- When Stars Are Scattered, by Victoria Jamieson
(for DPL card holders) When Stars Are Scattered downloadable audiobook on hoopla
- Thursday, February 23, 4 p.m. -- Katie the Catsitter, by Colleen Venable
- Thursday, March 30, 4 p.m. -- Kids' vote: Wink, by Rob Harrell OR Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish, by Pablo Cartaya
(for DPL card holders) Wink downloadable audiobook on hoopla
(for DPL card holders) Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish downloadable audiobook on hoopla
Titles chosen are from the nominees for the 2023 Rebecca Caudill Reader's Choice Award. Each year students across Illinois vote for their favorite from that list. Students in our group will be eligible to vote if they meet these three qualifications:
- Have read at least 3 titles from the 20 on the Caudill nominee list.
- Are in the 4th through 8th grade.
- Are NOT voting for the Caudill award at any other school.
Register for RaD Kids Book Group